Cyclonic storm ‘Thane’ formed over southwest Bay of Bengal has moved west-southwestward and lay centered near latitude 12.00N and longitude 82.50E, at 0830 hrs IST on 29 December 2011. The cyclone is about 270 km east of Puducherry, 250 km east-southeast of Chennai (Tamil Nadu).
The cyclonic storm ‘Thane’ is likely to move westwards and cross north Tamil Nadu coast between Nagapattinam and Chennai, around early morning of 30 December 2011.
Maximum impact of the cyclonic storm is expected to be felt near Puducherry.
Updates on cyclonic storm can be found out from Android mobile smartphone also, by installing free ‘Weather Underground’ application.
For more details, log on to
Update: 30 December 2011
As predicted, Cyclone Thane caused extensive damage to Puducherry.
Read more from The Times of India: Cyclone Thane makes landfall between Cuddalore and Puducherry, devastates area
Here is the weather map from Weather Underground
Did you enjoy this article? Please subscribe to RSS Feed to receive all the updates!
- Chennai Gets Ready to Face Severe Cyclonic Storm ‘Jal’
- TULIP 2013: Conference on Technological Upgradation of Logistics & Improvement of Ports by CII and NMF at Chennai
- Chennai 2012: All Faith Memorial Service by National Maritime Foundation, Rotary Club and Ethiraj College
- Round Table Discussion: “Unveiling INSARFO and Coastal Security” by FICCI and NMF at Chennai
- Conference on Coastal Shipping, Inland Waterways & Surveillance by CII and NMF at Chennai