Though this post is not related to marine topic, I’m compelled to post this so that customers can be aware of AirTel DTH in India. What AirTel DTH says in their website/newspaper advertisements is not practically followed by AirTel DTH. Here is my bad experience with AirTel DTH.
I wanted to upgrade my AirTel DTH from HD (High Definition) to HD Recorder version. Recorder helps to record a specific program and watch it peacefully later as convenient. This is a very useful feature for me as I can record marine related programs from Discovery, National Geographic, other channels and watch later as convenient.
Installing AirTel DTH:
- January 2009: I installed AirTel DTH SD (Standard Definition) by paying INR 2550.00.
- August 2010: Later upgraded to HD DTH by paying INR 2265.00 (there was no HD Recorder DTH available that time).
- June 02, 2011: After seeing an upgrade offer from the website of AirTel DTH, I contacted them through phone and paid INR 3990.00 through IVR (Interactive Voice Response); I was informed that my DTH would be upgraded to HD Recorder within 2 days.
Here is the website offer (zoomed) to upgrade to HD Recorder
Here are website offer (full page) and newspaper advertisement to upgrade to HD Recorder (click to enlarge)
How I was cheated by AirTel DTH:
June 03, 2011: In the morning, I received a SMS from Airtel DTH that my DTH would be upgraded; in the afternoon, I received a call from the installation team that my HD DTH can not be upgraded and upgrade offer is only available for AirTel DTH SD customers.
Here is the e-mail that I sent immediately to Airtel.
June 04, 2011: The reply received by me from AirTel.
June 09, 2011: As there was no further response from AirTel, here is my first reminder to AirTel.
Instead of replying regarding the progress of installation, same day AirTel wanted my alternate telephone number to speak to me. Even after providing my alternate telephone number, they never spoke to me.
June 13, 2011: Here is my second reminder to AirTel.
June 14, 2011: Here is the reply received by me from AirTel (reply simply denies that there is no such offer from AirTel to upgrade; does not talk about INR 3990.00 paid to them for upgrade)
Same day I replied AirTel regarding the upgrade offer provided by them (no reply has come for this from AirTel till now):
June 15, 2011: Meanwhile, the local installation team gave me the following only option to upgrade.
- I install DTH HD Recorder as a second connection against the payment made by me; later I have the option to surrender the DTH SD (first connection) as not required.
I agreed for the same. HD Recorder DTH was installed in the morning on June 15, 2011. I was told by the installation engineer that the activation of the HD Recorder would be done within few hours. In anticipation, I asked the installation engineer to disconnect my SD DTH and he promptly disconnected also.
As the HD Recorder DTH was not activated even by 1900 hours (on June 15), I called up the installation team to find out why there is delay in activating my HD Recorder DTH.
- The installation team informed me that I have to recharge my DTH account with INR 999.00 as activation charges to activate my HD Recorder DTH.
- Around 1930 hours, I rushed to the nearest AirTel dealer, purchased an Activation Kit for INR 999.00; recharged my DTH account.
- Even after making additional payment, the whole night the recorder was not activated.
June 16, 2011:
- Only by 1000 hours, the HD Recorder DTH was activated.
- Same day I informed AirTel DTH Customer Care to deactivate my first connection (SD DTH Recorder); till deactivation, AirTel DTH would be debiting charges for my first connection also on daily basis.
June 20, 2011: My first connection SD DTH was taken by Airtel team.
June 22, 2011: Officially my first connection (SD DTH) was deactivated (money debited from my DTH was stopped for the first connection).
So the customers have to be very careful in dealing with AirTel DTH. Blindly do not believe their advertisements.
Did you enjoy this article? Please subscribe to RSS Feed to receive all the updates!
- No related posts found