On January 30, 2011 a collision took place in day light between merchant vessel MV Nordlake and warship INS Vindhyagiri at Mumbai harbour. Frigate INS Vindhyagiri was entering harbour after celebrating ‘a day at sea’ with families onboard. MV Nordlake fully laden with containers, left JNPT (Jawaharlal Nehru Port Trust) harbour in the afternoon. No oil spill or any casualty is reported. The container ship is held back for investigation.
Some disturbing features of this ship collision are:
- Collision took place around 1600 hours near the Sunkrock lighthouse within the pilotage area of the navigational channel.
- MV Nordlake (IMO Number – 9057173; Call Sign - P3YT5, Cyprus flag)
- Owned by Reederei “NORD” Klaus E. Oldendorff, Cyprus company with 24 crew members on board.
- Self sustained cellular container vessel – B 186 lengthened.
- Length over All 179.23 metres/Beam 25.30 metres/Depth 13.50 metres/22,450 dwt on 9.90 m draft.
- Built and delivered by Stocznia Szczecinska S.A., Szczecin/Poland on June 29, 1994.
- Pilot was embarked onboard.
- INS Vindhyagiri (F 42), Leander Class Frigate:
- Length over All 113.4 metres/Beam 13.1 metres.
- Built by Mazagon Dock Ltd Mumbai and commissioned on July 8, 1981.
- Has complement of 267 (17 officers).
- It is also reported that fire broke out in INS Vindhyagiri’s engine room after the collision.
- The channel traffic was disrupted for more than an hour following the collision.
Here are some photographs.
Container vessel MV Nordlake
INS Vindhyagiri (F42).
Damage to INS Vindhyagiri is being assessed.
Read more from The Times of India.
Update: PM January 31, 2011.
It is reported that confusion in communication between MV Nordlake and another merchant vessel MV Sea Eagle (entering harbour) has caused collision by MV Nordlake on INS Vindhyagiri. INS Vindhyagiri has suffered extensive damage. Read more and also view a video clip that shows the collision as animation from NDTV: Navy warship INS Vindhyagiri tilts precariously, 300 tonnes of fuel on board.
Read more also the press release issued by MOD through Press Information Bureau: Collision between INS Vindhyagiri and MV Nordlake.
Did you enjoy this article? Please subscribe to RSS Feed to receive all the updates!
- No related posts found