On January 25, 2011 Russia and France signed an agreement to jointly build Mistral-class helicopter carriers for the Russian Navy. Mistral is a multi purpose amphibious assault ship/helicopter carrier/hospital ship in the French Navy. The contract is yet to be signed between both countries.
Some interesting features of the agreement are:
- was signed by Russian Deputy Prime Minister Igor Sechin and French Defense Minister Allain Juppe in the presence of French President Nicolas Sarkozy.
- totally four warships are to be built: first two at the STX shipyard in Saint-Nazaire, France (in late 2013-early 2014) and remaining two at the Admiralty Shipyards in St. Petersburg, Russia (second in late 2014-early 2015).
- Russian expertise to be used in the construction is expected to be
- first ship – 20%
- second ship – 40%
- Russian expertise is to increase to 80% for the third and fourth ships, to be built in Russia.
- has a price tag of approximately 720 million Euros.
- Mistral-class ship can carry 16 helicopters, four landing vessels, 70 armored vehicles and 450 personnel.
Here is the graphics of Mistral Class Helicopter Carrier from Marine nationale, France.
View a video clip from You Tube: Ship Ahoy! Russia targets $800 mln Mistral assault ship
Read more from RIA Novosti.
Did you enjoy this article? Please subscribe to RSS Feed to receive all the updates!
- No related posts found