Exercise Varuna 10 (in two phases), by the Indian Navy and the French Navy is going on from January 07, 2011.
Some interesting features of Varuna 10 are:
- Scope: maritime operations ranging from Aircraft Carrier Operations, Anti Submarine Warfare Exercise and Maritime Interdiction Operations exercises.
- Harbour phase at Goa: from 07 to 10 January 2011.
- Sea phase: to be conducted in the Arabian Sea from 11 to 14 January 2011.
- Indian Navy: aircraft carrier INS Viraat; frigates INS Godavari, INS Ganga; shishumar class submarine INS Shalki; sea harrier fighters, fixed and rotary wing aircrafts.
- French Navy (Task Force 473): aircraft carrier Charles De Gaulle (with fighter aircrafts Rafale, Super Etendard; airborne early warning aircraft (E2C Hawkeye) including integral helicopters); destroyers FNS Forbin, FNS Tourville; supply ship FNS Meuse; nuclear powered attack submarine FNS Amethyste.
Here are the photographs of the French Navy ships from the French Navy’s Marine Nationale:
Aircraft carrier Charles De Gaulle R-91
Nuclear powered attack submarine FNS Amethyste.
Standard air defense frigate Horizon: FNS Forbin D-620
Frigate anti-submarine type F67: FNS Tourville D-610
Tanker (PR) type Durance: FNS Meuse A-607
Meanwhile, a French sailor Connery Emile with unruly behaviour was arrested on January 10, for pelting stones at a police patrol party in Goa.
View a video clip from You Tube: French Aircraft Carrier Charles de Gaulle in Goa India
Read more from the press release (pdf doc) from the Indian Navy.
Did you enjoy this article? Please subscribe to RSS Feed to receive all the updates!
- No related posts found