Coast Guard District Headquarters (Lakshadweep & Minicoy) at Kavaratti was established on December 24, 2010 by the Hon’ble Raksha Mantri Shri AK Antony to enhance the safety and security of the Lakshadweep Islands. Same day he also commissioned Coast Guard Station at Minicoy.
Lakshadweep archipelago is located between 200 and 400 kilometers away from Kerala coast. It comprises of 36 islands with a total area of about 32 square kilometers. As only 11 of these 36 islands are inhabited, the islands have to be guarded to save India from sea borne terrorism.
Coast Guard Head Quarters (CGHQ) is located at New Delhi. Presently Indian Coast Guard has four Regional Head Quarters (RHQs) with one more being planned at Kolkata. There are now twelve Coast Guard District Head Quarters (CGDHQs) as seen in Google Maps above.
- Coast Guard Region – North West (covering Gujarat state)
- Regional Head Quarters (RHQ NW) at Gandhi Nagar, Gujarat.
- DHQ-1 at Porbandar.
- Coast Guard Region – West (covering Maharashtra, Goa, Karnataka, Kerala states including Union Territory of Lakshadweep)
- Regional Head Quarters (West) at Mumbai, Maharashtra.
- Maharashtra: DHQ-2 at Mumbai.
- Karnataka: DHQ-3 at New Mangalore.
- Goa: DHQ-11 at Goa.
- Kerala: DHQ-4 at Kochi.
- Lakshadweep & Minicoy islands: DHQ-12 at Kavaratti.
- Coast Guard Region – East (covering Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh, Orissa, West Bengal states including Union Territory of Puducherry)
- Regional Head Quarters at Chennai, Tamil Nadu.
- Tamil Nadu: DHQ-5 at Chennai.
- Andhra Pradesh: DHQ-6 at Visakhapatnam.
- Orissa: DHQ-7 at Paradip.
- West Bengal: DHQ-8 at Kolkata.
- Coast Guard Region – Andaman & Nicobar Islands
- Regional Head Quarters at Port Blair.
- DHQ-9 at Diglipur.
- DHQ-10 at Campbell Bay.
Click the map above to view all CGDHQs in Google Maps.
Did you enjoy this article? Please subscribe to RSS Feed to receive all the updates!
- Indian Coast Guard Activates Regional Head Quarters North West in Gujarat
- Pirate Mother Ship Prantalay Sinks off Lakshadweep during Anti Piracy Operations by India
- Locate Your Port in Google Maps Through World Port Source
- INDESEC EXPO 2008: Indo-International Homeland Security and Defence Exhibition Ready to Start
- Indian Coast Guard completes 31 Years of Glorious Service