Sri Lanka Navy is celebrating Diamond Jubilee (completion of 60 years) today. On December 09, 1950 the Navy Act was enacted to form Royal Ceylon Navy. In 1972, with the introduction of new constitution Royal Ceylon Navy was renamed as the Sri Lanka Navy.
Representatives from 21 countries including 06 Naval Chiefs from around the world are participating in the celebrations. Ships from Bangladesh, China, India, Iran, Pakistan, Russia and Thailand Navies are participating in the Presidential Fleet Review and International Sail Past at the port of Colombo.
India is represented by Admiral Nirmal Verma, Chief of Naval Staff along with INS Mysore and INS Tarangini.
As part of Diamond Jubilee celebrations, Sri Lanka Navy is hosting the following activities:
- 04 to 12 December 2010 (except 7th and 8th): Naval Exhibition in the Port of Colombo
- December 08, 2010:
- Naval and Maritime Symposium
- International Sailing Regatta (GP14/Enterprise)
- International Naval Band Fiesta and Cultural Show
- December 09, 2010:
- Presidential Fleet Review
- Awarding of Presidential Colours
- Diamond Jubilee Banquet including Book Launch on the time line of the Sri Lanka Navy since inception
- December 10, 2010: Visit to Naval Dockyard Trincomalee & Chiefs of Navies conclave
- December 11, 2010: International Sail Past
View a video clip from YouTube: Sri Lanka Navy organizes Naval and Maritime Exhibition marking its Diamond Jubilee 3-12-2010
For more details on Sri Lanka Navy’s 60th anniversary, log on to Sri Lanka Navy – Diamond Jubilee.
Did you enjoy this article? Please subscribe to RSS Feed to receive all the updates!
- No related posts found