The sixth edition of biennial Def Expo-2010 (Land & Naval Defence Systems Exhibition) is ready to start at New Delhi on February 15. The four day event will be inaugurated by the Defence Minister Shri AK Antony at Pragati Maidan. The Def Expo-2010 is the largest ever Defence Exposition in Asia and provides an opportunity to the international defence industry to promote and showcase their products and services. The event is being organized by the Defence Exhibition Organisation, Department of Defence Production, Ministry of Defence, Government of India. The first exhibition was held in 1999 and subsequently in 2002, 2004, 2006 and 2008.
It may be noted that China and Pakistan were not invited to this event as these countries also do not invite India to participate in similar events conducted by them.
Some interesting features of Def Expo-2010 are:
- To focus on global land and naval systems business activity – from suppliers to manufacturers, technology providers to services.
- 650 companies from over 35 countries are expected to display weapon systems for Army and Navy.
- To be participated by USA, UK, Russia, Austria, Czech Republic, Finland, France, Greece, Hungary, Israel, Korea, Netherlands, Norway, New Zealand, Poland, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Ukraine, Germany, Belgium, Bulgaria, Canada, Israel Italy, Malaysia and South Africa.
- Israel is the biggest participating country in terms of space occupied (1248 sq metres) and USA is represented with the maximum number of 25 companies.
- Defence Ministers from UK, Bulgaria, Hungary, Nigeria, Turkey, Uganda, Senegal and Suriname.
- Official delegations from 41 countries are expected to attend.
- Naval Chiefs from Kazakhstan, Mozambique, Brunei, Qatar and Senegal and Army Chief from Mongolia will also attend the exhibition.
View a video clip: India’s Defence Expo 2010 to attract 650 companies
For more details, log on to Defexpo-2010.
Did you enjoy this article? Please subscribe to RSS Feed to receive all the updates!