INS Savitri of Indian Navy, is on deployment off Seychelles and Mauritius in the Indian Ocean Region (IOR) from end November till early January 2010.
Some interesting features of INS Savitri (P 53) and her deployment are:
- Savitri is a Sukanya class Offshore Patrol Vessel (OPV) commissioned on November 27, 1990 and built by Hindustan Shipyard Limited.
- Savitri will operate in close coordination with the ships and aircraft of Seychelles Coast Guard (was formed in 1992) and the Mauritian National Coast Guard (was formed in July 1987).
- Savitri has a Chetak helicopter and Marine Commandos to carry out surveillance of Exclusive Economic Zone of Seychelles and Mauritius including anti piracy operations.
Here is a photograph from Indian Navy of INS Savitri (P 53).
Read more from Press Information Bureau.
Posts in MarineBuzz on this day a year before:
Did you enjoy this article? Please subscribe to RSS Feed to receive all the updates!
- Pirate Mother Ship Prantalay Sinks off Lakshadweep during Anti Piracy Operations by India
- INDESEC EXPO 2008: Indo-International Homeland Security and Defence Exhibition Ready to Start
- Indian Coast Guard Celebrates 35th Anniversary
- Indian Coast Guard: Inshore Patrol Vessels by Hindustan Shipyard Limited
- Indian Coast Guard Academy to Come Up at Azhikkal, Kerala