HMS Iron Duke, type 23 frigate from the Royal Navy and a warship from Canada are to patrol the coasts of Republic of Trinidad and Tobago during the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting (CHOGM). It may be recalled that HMS Iron Duke, seized over five and a half tonnes of cocaine at sea from MV Cristal in September 2009.
Some interesting features of CHOGM 2009 are:
- The CHOGM, the supreme body of the Commonwealth is convened every two years to review global, political and economic developments and to conduct a strategic overview of the Commonwealth’s work in support of the interests of member countries.
- The CHOGM 2009 will be held in Port of Spain, Republic of Trinidad and Tobago, from November 27 to November 29, 2009.
- The theme of CHOGM 2009 is ‘Partnering for a more Equitable and Sustainable Future’.
- In 2007 summit in Kampala, Uganda, it was decided to host the next meeting at Trinidad and Tobago in 2009.
- All nations, regardless of size, have an equal say and vote at this meeting.
- All CHOGM decisions and initiatives are reached only by consensus.
- CHOGMs are distinct from other international meetings as in that heads of government meet in an informal retreat setting.
Read more from Trinidad and Tobago’s Newsday.
For more details, log on to CHOGM 2009.
Posts in MarineBuzz on this day a year before:
Did you enjoy this article? Please subscribe to RSS Feed to receive all the updates!
- No related posts found