Le BPC Mistral (L9013), French Navy’s amphibious assault ship/helicopter carrier/hospital ship is expected to visit St. Petersburg, Russia on November 23. Mistral was mainly built to civilian standards. The visit is significant because, Russia is planning to buy a Mistral-class helicopter carrier worth 400-500 million euros (around $600-$750 million) from France. The Russian Navy and defense industry experts are further expected to inspect the ship during the visit.
Some interesting features of [Building Projection and Command (BPC), Le Bâtiment de Projection et de Commandement] Mistral are:
- Commissioned in January 2006
- Length: 199 metres
- Width: 32 metres
- Draft: 6.2 metres
- Displacement: 16500 tons; 21 500 tons full load
- Maximum speed: 19 knots
- Surface area of flight deck: 5200 sq metre
- Number of landing spots of helicopters on flight deck: 6
- Helicopter hangar: can accommodate 16 helicopters
- Propulsion: Diesel-Electric including a bow thruster
- Crew: 160
- Hospital: has 69 beds including 2 operation theatres, a radiology room with a provision to convert helicopter hangar also as a hospital
- Has satellite communication including internet and video conferencing facilities
- Has 4 VTC (Barge Transportation Equipment), 2 LCAC (Landing Craft, Air Cushioned) and capable of deploying other armoured vehicles and infantry that are stored board on 2,650 square metre deck
Here are some photographs of BPC Mistral (L9013).
View an amazing video clip of BPC Mistral (L9013): Helicopter Carrier Mistral
All the above photographs and images are from Marine Nationale.
Posts in MarineBuzz on this day a year before:
Did you enjoy this article? Please subscribe to RSS Feed to receive all the updates!
- FNS Mistral at Singapore for IMDEX Asia 2011 After Kochi Visit
- India: Mystery Behind Ballistic Missile Defense Ship USS Decatur Visit to Chennai
- French Navy Training Ships on Goodwill Visit to Kochi
- Weekend Visit: Virtual Tour of South African Navy Ships
- South African Navy Ship SAS Spioenkop on Goodwill Visit to Kochi, India