Some disturbing reports on this tragedy available are:
- The double decker boat ‘Jalakanyaka’ is operated by Kerala Tourist Development Corporation (KTDC).
- The boat capsized at a depth of 40 to 50 feet in Periyar Lake at Periyar Wildlife Sanctuary, Thekkady around 1730 hrs IST.
- The Indian Navy diving team from the Southern Naval Command reached the Thekkady boat accident site early morning on October 01 and commenced rescue operations at first light.
- Reasons reported for the accident
- boat was over crowded than the rated capacity.
- passengers suddenly moved to one side of the boat to watch some wildlife and the boat capsized due to that.
- not the fault of passengers, the boat was listing from the time of departure and capsized while turning.
- other reports on the boat
- Timings for boat cruises on the Periyar Lake: 0700, 0930, 1130, 1400, 1600 hrs.
- A judicial probe is being set up by Kerala government to investigate the accident.
View some video clips and photographs:
Posts in MarineBuzz on this day a year before:
Did you enjoy this article? Please subscribe to RSS Feed to receive all the updates!
- No related posts found