HMS Iron Duke, the Type 23 frigate has seized over five and a half tonnes of cocaine at sea from MV Cristal. This is the largest seizure of cocaine by the Royal Navy.
Some interesting features of this cocaine seizure:
- Seizure was done in coordination with the supply ship 31,000-tonne Royal Fleet Auxiliary (RFA) Fort George and with the US Coast Guard Law Enforcement Detachment embarked onboard.
- MV Cristal
- 138 ft converted fishing vessel was spotted by Lynx helicopter of HMS Iron Duke.
- Cocaine was hidden under concrete in the vessel’s ballast tanks.
- A total of 212 separate bales of cocaine weighing approximately 26 kg each were seized.
- Was destroyed by gunfire to prevent her being a hazard to nearby shipping.
- Estimated street price of cocaine: more than £240 Million.
- Third major counter narcotics success for HMS Iron Duke off the coast of South America.
Here are some photographs of cocaine seizure by HMS Iron Duke from the Royal Navy.
View an amazing video clip including the gunfire on MV Cristal from the Royal Navy: Drug Smugglers Hit By Royal Navy In Massive Cocaine Seizure
Read more from the Royal Navy.
Post in MarineBuzz on this day a year before:
Did you enjoy this article? Please subscribe to RSS Feed to receive all the updates!
- No related posts found