World Maritime Day is celebrated during the last week of September. The date of celebration is left to individual Governments to decide.
World Maritime Day 2009:
- International Maritime Organization (IMO) has celebrated on September 24 at the Organization’s Headquarters in London.
- Theme: “Climate change: a challenge for IMO too!”
- Celebration of the IMO World Maritime Day Parallel Event in the United States of America is planned from October 15 to 18.
- Though CO2 emissions by shipping industry is less, IMO wants to take it as a challenge to fight climate change. Global CO2 emissions by:
IMO has initiated an action plan to decelerate climate change by setting up
- Energy Efficiency Design Index for new ships.
- Ship Energy Management Plan for all ships (which includes guidance on best practices for fuel-efficient ship operations).
- Energy Efficiency Operational Indicator (which helps to determine the fuel efficiency of a ship).
Read the Message from Secretary-General of IMO as pdf.
Hear the Audio presentation by the Secretary-General as mp3.
Read IMO brochure for World Maritime Day 2009 as pdf.
For more details, log on to IMO.
Post in MarineBuzz on this day a year before:
Did you enjoy this article? Please subscribe to RSS Feed to receive all the updates!