HMAS Toowoomba is the first warship of the Royal Australian Navy (RAN) to join anti sea piracy mission off Somalia as part of U.S led (Combined Task Force) CTF 150 and CTF 151.
Some interesting features of HMAS Toowoomba (FFH 156) and Combined Task Force are:
- HMAS Toowoomba, Anzac class frigate departed Australia on June 09 on a six-month deployment (Operation SLIPPER) to the Middle East Area of Operation. Operation SLIPPER is Australia’s military contribution to international campaigns against terrorism, countering piracy in the Gulf of Aden, and maritime security.
- HMAS Toowoomba with the ship’s company of 193 men and women will patrol the waters off Somalia, escort merchant shipping in the Gulf of Aden, track and report any piracy activities.
- Operating under the command of Commander Ivan Ingham.
- Combined Task Force
- CTF 150 operates in the Gulf of Aden, Gulf of Oman, the Arabian Sea, Red Sea and the Indian Ocean.
- CTF 151 operates in the Gulf of Aden and off the Somali Coast.
- CTF 152 operates in the Arabian Gulf.
- Expected to return to her home port at Fleet Base West at Garden Island in Western Australia in early December.
Here is a photograph of HMAS Toowoomba (FFH 156) from DOD Australia.
View a video clip: Australian Navy weapons
Post in MarineBuzz on this day a year before:
Did you enjoy this article? Please subscribe to RSS Feed to receive all the updates!
- No related posts found