Andaman Nicobar Command (ANC) conducted a two-day seminar on Maritime Security and Development of A&N Islands at Military Station, Brichgunj on September 4-5. The seminar was hosted to enhance and update the security aspects concerning the Andaman sea region. ANC the first integrated theatre command in India, with headquarters at Port Blair is commanded presently by VADM Vijay Sankar, PVSM, AVSM. ANC operates directly under the Chiefs Of Staff Committee (COSC).
The former President of India, Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam, while inaugurating the seminar unveiled a vision document for the strategic development of the Andaman and Nicobar Islands by the year 2020 in two parts:
- Missions for Andaman and Nicobar Islands prosperity
- Possibility of converting the volcanic Barren island for generating electricity which can be useful for the entire Andaman & Nicobar Islands.
- Development of mechanized deep water fishing, fish processing, storage and marketing to enhance growth in this sector.
- Development of tourism infrastructure both internal and external, through roadways, waterways and airways, on Build Own and Operate basis as in Maldives.
- Setting up of Island PURA ((Providing Urban Amenities in Rural Areas) with physical, electronic and knowledge connectivity.
- Data on meteorology and sea state should be converted into meaningful information and provided to benefit the fishing community.
- Missions for security of Andaman & Nicobar Islands
- All the Islands of India may be brought under a single independent operational command with adequate empowerment.
- Setting up of a 250 MW dedicated nuclear power station on one of the islands for the development of the archipelago.
- Setting up of a static aircraft carrier with dynamic warfare systems using 10 vacant Islands.
- Setting up of a reliable communication system within the islands and with the mainland including tsunami forecast.
- Setting up of a nuclear submarine based fleet as a core defence system for the entire region.
Vice Admiral Shankar pointed out that security and development are the two sides of the same coin and ANC will ensure that security and development is achieved while maintaining the ecological balance.
Here is the photograph (from Press Information Bureau) of the former President, Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam addressing at the inauguration of Seminar on Security and Development of Andaman and Nicobar, at Port Blair.
Read more from
- Dr APJ Abdul Kalam – A Site for Inspiration and Nation Building.
- Press Information Bureau – Report 1, Report 2.
Post in MarineBuzz on this day a year before:
Did you enjoy this article? Please subscribe to RSS Feed to receive all the updates!
- No related posts found