Commander Dilip Donde of Indian Navy has commenced solo circumnavigation (Sagar Parikrama) in sailing yacht ‘Mhadei’ from Mumbai on August 19. He is the first Indian to go on solo circumnavigation.
Some interesting features of Sagar Parikrama and sailing yacht Mhadei are:
- will cover a distance of approximately 21,600 nautical miles to circumnavigate the globe from West to East through the Southern Hemisphere.
- was flagged off by the Chief of Naval Staff, Admiral Sureesh Mehta.
- a project conceived by Vice Admiral (retd) M P Awati.
- to make four stops in Fremantle (Australia), Christchurch (New Zealand), Port Stanley (Falkland Islands), and Cape Town (South Africa).
- duration: nine months.
- at a cost of INR 6.5 crore funded by Government of India.
Sailing yacht Mhadei:
- built by Aquarius Fibreglas, Goa.
- 56 feet long, Wood Core Fibreglass yacht.
- carries a set of six sails to be used in different combinations to reach up to ten knots speed.
- has all basic amenities and latest navigational and communication aids.
- named after the river, Mhadei.
- a preparatory voyage covering a distance of 2300 nautical miles to Mauritius was successfully completed in May-June this year.
View some video clips:
- from DNA India: First solo mission around the world
- from Footloose: To hear the song of the sea
- from the builder Aquarius Fibreglas, Goa: Sailing Yacht ‘Mhadei’
Post in MarineBuzz on this day a year before:
Did you enjoy this article? Please subscribe to RSS Feed to receive all the updates!
- No related posts found