64th Anniversary of Indonesian Independence from the Dutch was celebrated on August 17. As part of the celebrations, Sail Bunaken 2009, was held at Bitung and Manado City, North Sulawesi, Indonesia from August 12 to 20.
Sail Bunaken 2009:
- Jointly organized by the Ministry of Marine and Fishery Affairs, Provincial Administration of North Sulawesi, Ministry of Culture and Tourism, and Navy Force of Indonesia, supported by the the Directorate General of Immigration and other government institutions.
- Sail Bunaken 2009 events:
- Indonesian Fleet Review of “warships” and “tall ships”.
- Yacht Rally: from Nusa Tenggara to Bitung.
- Bunaken Expo & Festival with an exhibition of Indonesia’s marine and tourism products, handicrafts.
- International Big Game Fishing “KASAL CUP”.
- Diving: breaking Guinnes Book of Record.
- Jetski Trans Equator Touring on the west coast of Sulawesi island for about 1,600 miles.
- Bunaken International Seafood Festival.
- International Seminar on Building a Comprehensive Maritime Security and Possible Benefit to the Effort to Minimize Illegal Fishing in the Region.
Some interesting features of Indonesia International Fleet Review (IFR) are:
- The President of Indonesia, Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono witnessed the review on August 19.
- Delegations from 33 countries participated.
- 38 ships including warships and top naval leaders from 14 countries attended.
- Chief of Navy, Vice Admiral Russ Crane attended.
- Ships participated: Frigate HMAS Darwin, Auxiliary Oiler Replenishment vessel HMAS Success, Hydrographic Survey vessel HMAS Leeuwin.
- Coast Guard vessel Triton.
- A fleet of 163 yachts.
- On August 16, PLA Navy’s Guangzhou arrived at Bitung Port.
- Rear Admiral Su Zhiqian, deputy commander of the Guangzhou Military Area Command (MAC) of the PLA and commander of the South China Sea Fleet (SCSF) of the PLA Navy, were also present.
- France: FS La Somme.
- India: INS Khukri, INS Airavat.
- Indonesia: KRI Sultan Hasanuddin and other Indonesian ships.
- Japan: JDS Kashima, JDS Shimayuki, JDS Yuugiri.
- Malaysia: KD Kedah, KD Tunas Samudera.
- New Zealand: HMNZS Canterbury.
- Pakistan: PNS Zulfiquar.
- Philippines: Manuel L Quezon.
- Singapore: RSS Tenacious, RSS Darling.
- South Korea: ROKS Choi Young DDH, Dae Cheong.
- Thailand: Phuttaloetia Naphalai, Rattanakosin.
- U.K: HMS Echo.
- U.S. Navy Chief of Naval Operations Adm. Gary Roughead was present from August 17-19, to participate in the International Maritime Seminar and watch the Presidential Sailing Pass in Review.
- Guided missile destroyer USS McCampbell (DDG 85) arrived in Bitung on August 15.
- On August 19, other U.S. Navy ships, the aircraft carrier George Washington (CVN 73), guided missile cruiser Cowpens (CG 63) and guided missile destroyers Fitzgerald (DDG 62) and Mustin (DDG 89) joined IFR for the “Pass in Review”.
View some video clips:
Read more and view photographs:
- from DOD, Australia: Australian Navy joins Indonesia for Independence Celebrations.
- from China Defense Mashup: PLA Navy shows power by 4-day goodwill visit to Indonesia.
- from U.S. Navy: Report 1, Report 2.
Post in MarineBuzz on this day a year before:
Update: August 30
Read a report and view photographs on Indonesia’s International Fleet Review from Marine Nationale, France.
Did you enjoy this article? Please subscribe to RSS Feed to receive all the updates!
- No related posts found