On August 04, officials of Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) raided the office and residences of former Chennai Port Trust chairman, Mr K.Suresh, and the port trust deputy conservator, Mr M.K.Sinha.
During the raid:
- Cash, gold, bank deposits, U.S. dollars and property worth over INR 2.36 crore of Mr K. Suresh were recovered.
- Mr K.Suresh’s properties are in ECR, Kodaikanal, Bengaluru and Chennai.
Reason for raid:
- The raid was conducted in connection with allotment of berth to MV San Giorgio in Chennai Port in 2005.
- The vessel was not seaworthy and had no valid documents, licenses or crew.
- The vessel was abandoned by the owners.
- Olam International which chartered the ship, managed to get permission from Mr Suresh to dock the vessel at Chennai port to discharge cargo.
- The vessel still remains in the Chennai port and Chennai Port Trust has incurred a loss of around INR 20 crore.
The former chairman was relieved from the chairman’s post on June 30.
Further, the vessel was listed for sale in Office of Maritime Consultant Co., Ltd. (OMCC) of Thailand from September 20, 2006 with following vessel particulars:
Posted: 2006-09-20 15:00:44
PLS FIND HEREBELOW DETAILS OF THE SINGLEDECKER SAN GIORGIO THAT CAN BE DEVELOPED 4 SALE:
BC: “SAN GIORGIO” Flag: MALTA
Deadweight: 18609 mts on 9,313 m draft
Built in 1977 in JAPAN at UWAJIMA ZOSENSHO
Class: RS/ SS: 1/10/2006 DD: 1/10/2006
Gross: 10984 / Net: 6440
LOA: 146,08 m – Breadth 22,89 m – Depth 12,6 m
Holds: 4 Hatches: 4
Grain: 23197 cbm Bale: 22379
Hatch Covers: PONTOONS
Gear: 4X25.0t DERRICKS
ME: Mitsubishi 6UEC52/105E
BHP: 8000 Speed: 14,25 Knots
B. Thrus: no
VESSEL IS PROCEEDING TO TUTICORIN, INDIA WHERE ETA ON ABT 11 OF OCT. AND ETD ON ABT 15TH OF OCT.
OWNERS INVITE BEST OUTRIGHT OFFERS ON “AS IS” BASIS.
Breakdown Analysis and Technical support to the vessel was provided at Chennai by Fidere Marine Services of Kolkata. The vessel’s crew vs vessel owner as a legal dispute was listed in the High Court of South Africa on September 04, 2006 vide Case No: AC 147/06
Read more from Indian Express.
Post in MarineBuzz on this day a year before:
Did you enjoy this article? Please subscribe to RSS Feed to receive all the updates!
- Chennai Sea Port Customs Exposes Potash Smuggling
- Chennai Port: MV Captain Ali Without Any Instructions
- Chennai Port: China Uses Sea Routes to Send Fake Drugs to India
- Chennai Port: Smuggling of Rice on the Rise
- Food and Fruits Import Clearance: Chennai Port Health Officer Accumulates Rs 18.6 Million