It is amazing to know that a multi specialty hospital called ‘The Turtle Hospital’ is available to treat sea turtles. This hospital on July 04, released a loggerhead sea turtle named after President Barack Obama in the Atlantic Ocean off Key West after treatment.
Some interesting features of the Turtle Hospital are:
- was opened in 1986 as a charitable corporation.
- located at Marathon, Florida in the heart of the Florida Keys.
- aims to
- treat injured sea turtles and release them to the wild after treatment
- impart knowledge about sea turtles through outreach programs to local schools
- conduct and assist research to aid sea turtles in conjunction with state universities
- work toward environmental legislation to make the beaches and water safe and clean for sea turtles
- provides Guided Educational Experiences to public everyday.
- has necessary infrastructure to treat sea turtles including the latest equipment to perform a variety of surgeries on different species and sizes of sea turtles.
- type of treatment given to turtles
- flipper amputations caused by fishing line and trap rope entanglements
- shell damage caused by boat collisions
- intestinal impactions caused by ingestion of foreign materials such as plastic bags, balloons, and fishing line and/or hooks
- removal of debilitating viral tumors that affect over 50% of the sea turtles in the Keys and around the world
- carries out research in coordination with University of Florida into the causes of fibropapilloma, the devastating viral tumors which affect sea turtles.
- achievement: has successfully treated and released over 750 Sea Turtles since its founding in 1986.
View some interesting video clips:
For more details, log on to The Turtle Hospital.
Post in MarineBuzz on this day a year before:
Did you enjoy this article? Please subscribe to RSS Feed to receive all the updates!
- No related posts found