Capt.Richard Phillips was presented with the Admiral Arleigh Burke Leadership Award on June 13. Some interesting features of Admiral Arleigh Burke Leadership Award are:
- The award was presented to Capt. Richard Phillips for offering himself as a hostage to Somali pirates to save his ship’s crew, while he was the master of MV Maersk Alabama and hijacked by Somali pirates in April.
- The award was presented by the Navy League of the United States at the Westin Arlington Gateway.
- The Burke award, is the Navy League’s most prestigious award for Leadership, named after Navy Admiral Arleigh Burke, an American hero well known for ethical standards and unselfish dedication.
- The award is presented to an outstanding leader from government (civilian or military), industry or academia whose life is in keeping with the example set by Admiral Arleigh Burke.
- The recipient receives an engraved bronze medallion and a plate engraved with his name is added to the USS Arleigh Burke replica displayed at Navy League Headquarters.
Here is a photograph from U.S.Navy – Captain Richard Phillips (center-right) with the award.
Here is the press release regarding the award, from the Navy League of the United States as pdf.
View an interesting video clip: Navy League of the United States
Post in MarineBuzz on this day a year before:
Did you enjoy this article? Please subscribe to RSS Feed to receive all the updates!
- No related posts found