INS Brahmaputra (F 31) is on goodwill visit to Israel. The visit is significant as INS Brahmaputra is armed with Israeli-made Barak Naval Air Defence System, designed to counter anti-ship air threats including supersonic sea skimming missiles.
Some interesting features of INS Brahmaputra and her visit are:
- is from Indian designed Type 16A Brahmaputra class, Guided Missile Frigate.
- is a modification of the Type 16 Godavari class of frigates.
- was commissioned on April 14, 2000.
- built by Garden Reach Shipbuilders & Engineers Ltd (GRSE), Kolkata.
- named after the river Brahmaputra.
- commanded by Captain Philipose G Pynumootil.
- arrived on four day visit at Haifa on June 01 from Eritrea and next visit is to Naples.
- 93-year-old former Commander of the old INS Brahmaputra, Jack Japheth visited the ship, who is now an Israeli citizen settled in Tel Aviv after retirement.
- expected to further strengthen Indo-Israeli relationship.
- some important recent Indo-Israeli co-operation this year include
- arrival of the first of the three Indian Air Force AWACS (Airborne Warning and Control System) platform fitted with the Israeli ‘Phalcon’ radar in India on May 25.
- launch of Indian all weather, see all, surveillance satellite (Radar Imaging Satellite RISAT-2) by ISRO on April 20 that was built with the cooperation from Israel Aerospace Industries.
Here is a photograph of INS Brahmaputra (F 31) from the Indian Navy.
Here is some information on Barak Naval Air Defence System from Rafael.
Read more about the visit from The Hindu.
Post in MarineBuzz on this day a year before:
Did you enjoy this article? Please subscribe to RSS Feed to receive all the updates!
- No related posts found