Three attempts by the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) and World Food Programme (WFP) chartered ships, to provide humanitarian assistance in the conflict zone off the Mullaittivu coast have failed.
As Sri Lanka is on the final offensive to finish the war against terrorism, the ships had to return to Trincomalee without providing humanitarian assistance.
Some of the developments are:
- ICRC ferry, Green Ocean, carrying 25 metric tonnes of urgently needed food had to return back due to heavy fighting.
- The last supply of food, medical supplies and evacuation of patients was on May 09.
- Cargo ship, Oriental Princess, carrying another 500 metric tonnes of food enough to feed 50,000 people for 20 days, has returned back.
- Unable to to deliver food by ship since May 12.
- Has shipped more than 2,000 metric tons of food to the conflict zone since the sea route to the conflict area was opened up in February.
- It is reported that the LTTE is hampering unloading of these food item and essentials for the civilians in the conflict zone.
Here are the developments available from MOD, Sri Lanka to confirm that the final offensive is going on
- On May 14, President Mahinda Rajapaksa gave indication that the rescue of all civilians in the small patch of land held by the LTTE will be completed in 48 hours.
- Sri Lanka Navy sea units have identified the family members of LTTE’s Sea Tiger wing leader Soosai on the morning of May 15, when they rescued a boat consisting 11 fleeing civilians as refugees. Cash amounting to Rs. 575,000 and jewelery weighing approximately 2 and ½ kilograms were found to be with them.
- View some amazing photographs of the final rescue mission, from MOD, Sri Lanka.
Posts in MarineBuzz on this day a year before:
Did you enjoy this article? Please subscribe to RSS Feed to receive all the updates!
- No related posts found