INS Viraat, aircraft carrier has completed only 23 years in the Indian Navy. Interestingly she is preparing to celebrate Golden Jubilee in November 2009 as she was in the Royal Navy as HMS Hermes from November 1959.
Some of the interesting features of INS Viraat (R 22) are:
- was purchased by India in April 1986 from U.K.
- commissioned on May 12, 1987.
- presently at Cochin Shipyard undergoing refit from late 2008.
- expected to be operational by June 2009.
- to complete 50 years of service on November 18, 2009 considering her past service as HMS Hermes in the Royal Navy.
- expected to remain in service till 2015.
- by 2015, India’s Indigenous Aircraft Carrier (IAC) is expected to be available.
Here is a photograph of INS Viraat from the Indian Navy.
View some interesting video clips:
Some of the interesting features HMS Hermes (R 12) are:
- launched on February 16, 1953.
- commissioned on November 18, 1959.
- ‘Centaur’ class of light fleet carriers.
- was the flagship during the Falklands War in 1982.
- served the Royal Navy until April 1984.
View an interesting video clip: Falklands 82 HMS HERMES
- INS Viraat to turn 50, Navy plans celebration from The Times of India.
- R 22 Viraat Class HMS Centaur Class (UK) Aircraft Carrier from Global Security.
Post in MarineBuzz on this day a year before:
Update: August 19
INS Viraat is out of dry dock in Kochi and is getting operational. She is expected to join her base port Mumbai by next month. Read more from The Economic Times.
Did you enjoy this article? Please subscribe to RSS Feed to receive all the updates!
- No related posts found