News reports are coming that Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) Chief Velupillai Prabhakaran
- may escape from Sri Lanka through a mini submarine kept standby by putting on a diver’s outfit to be towed behind the mini submarine at night. After getting out of the sight of Sri Lanka Navy, he is further expected to board a seaplane to leave the country.
- may not escape through a mini submarine due to his poor health and fight till his death in Sri Lanka.
Even if he tries to escape, it may not be possible to hide himself from the Sri Lanka Navy’s well-fortified Naval blockade of the entire sea facing the Mullaitivu coastline with their Fast Attack Craft (FACs), Offshore Patrol Vessels (OPVs), Fast Gun Boats (FGBs), the Rapid Action Boat Squadron (RABS) and the Special Boat Squadron (SBS).
In January, Sri Lanka Navy has captured enough boats and mini submarines that were in possession of LTTE. The largest underwater vehicle captured was about 35 feet in length and armour plated (Photo of mini submarine above is from DOD, Sri Lanka).
From where these mini submarines have come ?
- Though LTTE has been getting most of the weapons from Myanmar, Cambodia, Vietnam, it is reported that the mini submarines have come from a shipyard in Phuket,Thailand operated by a LTTE member, Christy Reginald Lawrence.
- Also as per reports available, Thailand was also a transit point to supply weapons to LTTE.
- View an amazing video clip: LTTE’s Suicide Boat Factory in Thailand
View an interesting video clip: Luxurious life of Pirabhaharan Family Exposed
Post in MarineBuzz on this day a year before:
Did you enjoy this article? Please subscribe to RSS Feed to receive all the updates!
- No related posts found