Some interesting facts about General Elections 2009 are:
- Around 714 million voters from 28 States and 7 Union Territories are to vote in the elections.
- Voting through Electronic Voting Machines (EVMs). 13,68,430 EVMs are going to be used.
- Polling stations: 8,28,804 polling stations.
- Number of Lok Sabha constituencies: 543
- out of 543 constituencies, 84 are reserved for Scheduled Castes (15.5%)
- out of 543 constituencies, 47 are reserved for Scheduled Tribes (8.7%)
- Photo Electoral Rolls are to be used in 522 Lok Sabha constituencies.
- Photographs of 82% voters are printed in Photo Electoral Rolls for easy identification.
- Being conducted in five phases by the Election Commission of India.
- First phase on April 16
- Second phase on April 23
- Third phase on April 30
- Fourth phase on May 07
- Fifth phase on May 13
- Counting of votes is scheduled on May 16 and all the results are expected on the same day.
Andaman & Nicobar islands and Lakshadweep islands completed polling in the first phase of elections held on April 16.
Some interesting features of Lakshadweep islands are:
- Represents as one Parliamentary Constituency.
- Smallest constituency with an area of 30.3 sq km.
- Constituency type: Scheduled Tribe (ST)
- Total number of polling stations: 40
- Agatti: 4
- Amini: 6
- Andrott: 6
- Bitra: 1
- Chetlat: 1
- Kadmat: 4
- Kalpeni: 3
- Kavaratti: 5
- Kiltan: 2
- Minicoy: 8
- Electronic Voting Machines (EVM) were brought from Kochi to Kavaratti by MV Tippu Sultan. An exclusive helicopter was deployed at Kavaratti to transport EVMs to other islands and to bring them back after polling.
- Electoral Roll Data:
- Number of candidates contested: 4
- Voter turnout on April 16: 85.36 %
- More details are available at Chief Electoral Officer, Union Territory of Lakshadweep, Kavaratti.
- The Andaman & Nicobar group of Islands is one Parliamentary Constituency and is 700 km long.
- Many places require 35-40 hours journey by ships. Poll personnel to some places were dispatched by helicopter.
- Constituency type: General
- Area of 8249 sq km.
- Number of polling stations: 347
- Electoral Roll Data:
- Males: 1,39,951
- Females: 1,23,747
- Number of EVMs used:
- Campell Bay: 14
- Diglipur: 60
- Ferrargunj: 57
- Little Andaman: 18
- Mayabunder: 30
- Nancowrie: 34
- Nicobar: 22
- Port Blair: 153
- Rangat: 52
- Number of candidates contested: 11
- Voter turnout on April 16: 62 %
- More details are available at Andaman & Nicobar Administration.
Here is a photograph from Press Information Bureau.
The voters standing in a queue for casting their votes at a polling booth at Agatti Island, Lakshadweep during General Elections-2009 on April 16, 2009.
Here is the photograph of Electronic Voting Machine (EVM)
Here are some interesting facts about 1st to 14th Lok Sabha
AAM: Average Age of Members; EQM: Educational Qualification of Members; UM: Under Matriculates; M: Matriculates; UG: Under Graduates; G: Graduates; PG: Post Graduates; D: Doctorates
INC: Indian National Congress; JP: Janata Party; JD: Janata Dal; SJP: Samajwadi Janata Party; BJP: Bharatiya Janata Part; NDA: National Democratic Alliance; UPA: United Progressive Alliance
|Lok Sabha(year)||AAM||EQM -UMs||EQM -M/UGs||EQM -Gs||EQM-PGs||EQM -Ds||Voter Turnout %||Ruling Party|
Post in MarineBuzz on this day a year before:
Did you enjoy this article? Please subscribe to RSS Feed to receive all the updates!
- No related posts found