Tireless Somali pirates again targeted a U.S.flagged merchant vessel within three days of U.S.Navy’s successful rescue operation of Capt. Richard Phillips of Maersk Alabama on April 12.
Some of the developments are:
- U.S.flagged merchant vessel MV Liberty Sun was attacked by Somali pirates on April 14, with small arms and rocket-propelled grenades.
- The vessel was south of the Gulf of Aden during the attack and the vessel raised a distress call.
- The guided-missile destroyer USS Bainbridge (DDG 96) in the vicinity, responded to ensure safe passage to Liberty Sun.
- After seeing USS Bainbridge, the pirates fled the area.
- The vessel with about 20 U.S.crew was on humanitarian mission carrying food aid to Mombasa, Kenya.
- The specification of the vessel is at Liberty Maritime Corporation.
Here is the photograph of MV Liberty Sun from Liberty Maritime Corporation.
Here is the photograph of USS Bainbridge (DDG 96) from the U.S.Navy.
Log on to USS Bainbridge (DDG 96), for more details.
Read more about the Somali piracy attack, from BBC News.
View an interesting video clip: American Ship the Liberty Sun Attacked by Vengeful Somali Pirates — 4.15.09
Post in MarineBuzz on this day a year before:
Did you enjoy this article? Please subscribe to RSS Feed to receive all the updates!
- No related posts found