Indian seafarers: Are you safe if you go to U.K to appear in marine examinations ?
Read here the tragic death of Kunal Mohanty, an Indian merchant navy officer who was killed on March 27 at Glasgow. Kunal was married around a year and a half ago, and his wife is in advanced stage of pregnancy. It seems there is no end to this racial attacks.
- Kunal (age 30), a student of the Glasgow College of Nautical Studies was to appear in final exams on March 30, to become a master mariner.
- He went to Glasgow on March 02, and was planning to return to India in early April after appearing in the examinations.
- Mohanty was walking around with his friends on March 27 evening, to have food near the Citizens’ Theatre, Gorbals area of Glasgow.
- He was attacked and fatally wounded, apparently with a bladed weapon, while passing a group of men and women.
- He was taken to the Glasgow Victoria Infirmary but died a short time later. A post-mortem examination was carried out and police are treating the incident as murder.
- Kunal’s family in Jalandhar, India received a call from British police on March 29 evening about the death of Kunal. The caller, however, did not disclose the cause of death.
- Kunal’s father came to know more about his son’s death only through intensive search in the internet.
- A 20-year-old youth was arrested in connection with the murder of Kunal.
- Kunal reportedly first came to Glasgow around ten years ago to start his studies as a commercial sailor and had returned several times since then.
View a video clip to know more about Kunal Mohanty’s death: Indian has been stabbed in UK.
Post in MarineBuzz on this day a year before:
Update: November 11
Christopher Miller, 25 who killed Kunal Mohanty has been jailed for minimum 18 years by the High Court in Glasgow. Read more from BBC News.
View a video clip: CCTV footage shows racist killer celebrating murder
Did you enjoy this article? Please subscribe to RSS Feed to receive all the updates!
- No related posts found