Some of the automobile manufacturers of India have now decided to join leisure boating industry. This is bound to boost marine tourism and develop waterways in India.
Auto major Mahindra & Mahindra (M&M) on February 17 announced their plans to join leisure boating industry by launching fibreglass power boats, cabin cruisers and catamarans with brand name “Mahindra Odyssea”. Also Honda through its Indian subsidiary Honda Siel India (HSIL), is planning to enter into the Indian boat manufacturing market and is conducting feasibility studies for the purpose.
Some of the interesting features of Mahindra Odyssea are:
- to be manufactured by a joint venture company called Mahindra Ocean Blue, in which M&M will hold 51% stake and Ocean Blue will hold the remaining stake.
- all products will match international quality standards, carry the international CE certification and will be competitively priced.
- power boats will offer combination of style, luxury and comfort to meet the needs of both the first-time boaters and boating enthusiasts.
- in the first phase boats of 20 to 40 feet size will be initially built at existing Mahindra factories, but a dedicated facility would be set up in due course.
- in the next phase, cabin cruisers and catamarans would be manufactured.
- will be initially powered by Evinrude engines of U.S. and later will be replaced with M&M’s own engines.
- the target customers are expected to be
- individual and institutional corporate clients from Cochin, Mumbai and Goa.
- paramilitary and defence forces.
- international customers.
- Mahindra Odyssea 22 and Mahindra Odyssea 33
- both the 22 ft and 33 ft power boats will be available with varying fit-out levels to suit individual customer requirements.
- while the initial product launch is supported by a range of Evinrude engine options, the products may also be fitted with alternate engines based on customer preferences. The engine prices will start at INR 3.50 lakh.
- both the boats will have an advanced hybrid trihedral hull for a stable, smooth, spacious and fuel efficient ride.
- the tunnels on either side aerate the water and the resulting air pocket provides enhanced lift and aerodynamics which enable the boat to achieve its plane more easily. This increases the speed along with greater fuel efficiency.
- trihedrals of this design also result in a wider hull ensuring greater stability and maneuverability.
- both fibreglass power boats were unveiled at Mumbai International Boat Show on February 19.
- prices will begin from INR 9.90 lakh. Currently, an imported power boat of 33 feet retails around INR 70 lakh.
- Mahindra Odyssea 22:
- sports a sleek design and enhanced maneuverability.
- the helm station is easy to maintain and features an ergonomically designed center console which can be equipped with stereo and navigation electronics.
- the boat also features wide and comfortable bench style seats with easy access to safety equipment and recreational essentials.
- ergonomic helm seats can accommodate a ‘cool box’ underneath, as well as the boat’s anchor.
- Mahindra Odyssea 33:
- is the ultimate lifestyle experience.
- with luxurious interiors and abundant space, the 33 is in a class of its own.
- features an ergonomic, practical, stylish and state-of-the-art helm station.
- plush upholstery ensures that passengers can ride in comfort, while abundant storage in the bow and aft area allows you to stay well-stocked throughout your voyage.
- the aft seating and cockpit table are perfect for a family dinner, while the elegant bar adds a touch of class.
- the 33 also has an enclosed, spacious and fully equipped washroom with toilet.
- a sleek targa offers ample sun protection.
- offers a comprehensive service and support package:
- all customers will be assisted to commission, operate and maintain their boats to avoid dealings with multiple service providers.
- on behalf of customers, liaise with the engine manufacturer for any warranty-related services or repairs.
- other services include boat registration and insurance, mooring arrangements, providing trained crew, routine maintenance including engine maintenance, launching the boat in water and anti-fouling treatment.
- will also top up fuel and water as required, undertake cleaning and conservancy services and facilitate dry docking during the monsoon.
- each boat will be accompanied by exceptional service standards along with unique financing options.
All images are from Mahindra and read more about Mahindra Odyssea, from Mahindra.
Read more about Honda, from The Economic Times.
Post in MarineBuzz on this day a year before:
Did you enjoy this article? Please subscribe to RSS Feed to receive all the updates!
- No related posts found