Alcatraz Cruises, providing ferry services to Alcatraz Island in San Francisco is already operating two environment friendly green vessels Alcatraz Clipper and Alcatraz Flyer. Now one more greener vessel, Hornblower Hybrid has joined Alcatraz Cruises.
- is a recycled catamaran, originally built as a commercial diving vessel
- 90 percent of the vessel interior and machinery have been modified to make the vessel environment friendly
- uses combination of diesel power, solar and wind energy
- has advanced power management system to ensure optimum use of different power sources
Hornblower Hybrid Vessel Facts
- Capacity: 149 passengers
- Length: 64 feet
- Beam: 30 feet
- Draft: 5 feet
- Propulsion System: Electrical propulsion by two 400 HP electric motors
- Solar Power: 1.2 KW Photo Voltaic Solar array
- Wind Power: Two 1.2 KW normal output wind turbines (2.0 KW max)
- Generators: Two 320 KW diesel engine driven generators
- Environment friendly components:
- Carpet: contains post consumer recycled materials and is further recyclable
- Counter tops: Vetrazzo counter tops throughout the vessel, made from recycled vodka bottles
- Lights: Energy efficient LED lights are used in main deck and pilothouse
- Interior modifications: meets US Green Building Council LEED criteria
- Cruising speed: 10 knots
The system diagram from Hornblower Hybrid is here
For more details, log on to Hornblower Hybrid.
Regarding cruises to Alcatraz Island, log on to Alcatraz Cruises.
Post in MarineBuzz on this day a year before:
Did you enjoy this article? Please subscribe to RSS Feed to receive all the updates!
- No related posts found