UNOSAT has released the map of ‘Reported Incidents of Somali Pirate Attacks and Hijackings in the Gulf of Aden for 2008′. All piracy incident data for the map were obtained from open sources.
- Total number of reported incidents off Somali coast – 180
- Total reported pirate attacks off Somali coast – 115
- Successful hijackings – 46
- Attempted but failed hijackings – 69
- Suspicious approach incidents which did not result in an actual pirate attack – 65
- Attack Success Rate
- January to July : 42%
- August: 70%
- September: 45% (chart shows as 48%)
- October: 28%
- November: 41% (chart shows as 42%)
- December: 25%
- Overall hijacking Success Rate: 40%
Graphical presentation showing Attempted Hijackings, Hijackings and Success Rate.
To view more details, download the UNOSAT map as pdf.
Post in MarineBuzz on this day a year before:
Did you enjoy this article? Please subscribe to RSS Feed to receive all the updates!
- 10 Types of Somali Pirate Attacks and Hijackings Explained by UNOSAT
- Indian Navy Ship Mysore Prevents Somali Piracy Attack, Arrests Pirates with Weapons
- UNOSAT Releases 3D Map of Piracy Incidents in the Gulf of Aden for 2008
- View Live Piracy Map of 2008 from International Maritime Bureau
- Weekend View: HMS Portland Sinks Somali Pirate Vessel