There are many ports to get ISO 9001 certification for Quality and there are few ports to get ISO 14001 certification for Environment.
But, Port of Houston Authority (PHA) is the first port authority in the world to receive ISO 28000:2007 certification for Port Police and the perimeter security operations. Further PHA, with Orsus’ Situator – a User-Friendly Situation Management System is in the process of integrating hundreds of cameras and access points, plus other devices in port authority’s public terminals to enhance the capabilities in security operations.
With Orsus’ Situator, the PHA can integrate incident reporting, simulate security-related events for training purposes and integrate system analysis tools to provide a comprehensive security approach. Also, it enables the port authority to improve risk management, minimize vulnerability and comply with security regulations governing port facilities.
It is interesting to note that PHA became the
- first U.S. port in 2002 to have Environmental Management System to meet ISO 14001 standards for environmental excellence.
- first U.S. port in 2004 to attain ISO 14001:2004 standards for its Environmental Management System.
Some interesting features of ISO 28000 series standards are:
- full fledged International Standards for supply chain security management systems, to reduce risks to people and cargo within the supply chain.
- address potential security issues at all stages of the supply process, thus targeting threats such as terrorism, fraud and piracy.
- can be applied by organizations of all sizes involved in manufacturing, service, storage or transportation by air, rail, road and sea at any stage of the production or supply process.
- assist in implementing governmental and international customs agency security initiatives, including the World Customs Organization’s Framework of Standards to Secure and Facilitate Global Trade, the EU Authorized Economic Operators Programme, the US Customs Trade Partnership against Terrorism, and the International Maritime Organization’s (IMO) International Ship and Port Facility Security Code.
- More information on ISO 28000 series are here at ISO News.
Here is the press release on Orsus’ Situator – a User-Friendly Situation Management System for PHA.
Here is the Port Report as pdf document from PHA on getting ISO 28000:2007 certification.
Here are interesting video clips:
Post in MarineBuzz on this day a year before:
Did you enjoy this article? Please subscribe to RSS Feed to receive all the updates!
- No related posts found