(U.S. Navy photo by Mass Communication Specialist 2nd Class Daniel Barker/Released)
Some of the interesting features of Combat Sky satellite communication balloon are:
- larger than a weather balloon.
- has the potential to provide communications between ship and helicopter, ship to shore, and between those on shore.
- communications payload are: global positioning systems, radios, and a hanging antenna. There are separate radios, one to control the payload and another, a communications repeater, for personnel to communicate with each other.
- helium filled balloon operating at an altitude of 60,000 – 85,000 feet above sea level.
- on completion of mission, the payload descends through a parachute attached to the balloon and then the balloon goes up to 120,000 feet, freezes, and bursts into many tiny pieces.
Read more about Combat Sky satellite communication balloon from U.S.Navy.
Post in MarineBuzz on this day a year before:
Did you enjoy this article? Please subscribe to RSS Feed to receive all the updates!
- No related posts found