Queen Elizabeth 2 (QE2) is expected to arrive at Dubai port Mina Rashid on November 26. On arrival she is going to be greeted at The World islands by a flotilla of local yachts, boats and leisure-craft led by a Royal Navy Frigate and helicopter. Also there is going to be a spectacular fly-past by one of Emirates’ newly acquired Airbus A380.
QE2 departed Southampton on November 11 after a farewell from HRH Prince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh, and a fly-past by a Harrier jump jet.
- QE2 will undergo a transformation to become an ultra-luxury floating hotel.
- She is set to be a luxurious residential, entertainment, marina, and hotel development off the eastern trunk side of Palm Jumeirah.
- A heritage museum displaying artifacts from QE2 and of local maritime history will also be an added attraction in the precinct.
- Nakheel has already commenced construction on a luxury marina development on Palm Jumeirah to position QE2 as a pinnacle on a palatial pier that will stretch 300 metres out from the trunk into the waters of the Arabian Gulf.
- Reclamation for the pier is expected to finish by this year end and the entire QE2 project is scheduled for completion in 2011.
Those interested to join the flotilla may register here.
Here is an image from Nakheel showing the proposed location of QE2 on the Palm Jumeirah.
Here are the proposed transformations to take place in QE2.
Here is an interesting video clip on final departure of QE2 from Southampton.
Post in MarineBuzz on this day a year before:
Update: November 27
QE2 arrived Dubai on November 26. On her arrival, UAE coast guard and the Royal Navy frigate HMS Lancaster escorted the liner to Mina Rashid port. A fire boat hosed water skywards to salute her, and an Emirates super jumbo A380 made a low flypast. Hundreds of passengers who traveled on the final voyage stood on the deck of QE2, waving British flags.
Here is Royal Navy’s press release with photographs of HMS Lancaster escorting QE2.
Did you enjoy this article? Please subscribe to RSS Feed to receive all the updates!
- No related posts found