The prestigious International Maritime Prize for 2007 has been presented to Mr.Joergen Rasmussen on November 12, during the 101st session of the IMO Council. The 100th session of the IMO Council in June 2008 took the decision to award the prize to Joergen Rasmussen, the former Chief Ship Surveyor and Chief Advisor to the Director-General in the Danish Maritime Authority.
The prize was presented during a special ceremony by Mr. Efthimios E. Mitropoulos, Secretary-General of IMO for Joergen Rasmussen’s prominent role in developing key instruments of the International Maritime Organization (IMO), including the Global Maritime Distress and Safety System (GMDSS), the International Safety Management (ISM) Code and the Voluntary IMO Member State Audit Scheme.
Previous winners of the prize since 2000 are:
- 2006 – (two prizes awarded) Mr. Alfred Popp (Canada) and, posthumously, Mr. Igor Ponomarev (Russian Federation)
- 2005 – Dr. Tom Allan (United Kingdom)
- 2004 – Mr. Luis Martínez (Mexico)
- 2003 – Mr William O’Neil (Canada)
- 2002 – Mr. Frank Wall (United Kingdom)
- 2001 – Mr. Giuliano Pattofatto (Italy) (posthumously)
- 2000 – Mr. Heikki Juhani Valkonen (Finland)
The photograph is from Danish Maritime Authority.
Posts in MarineBuzz on this day a year before:
Did you enjoy this article? Please subscribe to RSS Feed to receive all the updates!
- No related posts found