The second Pakistan Navy frigate F22P was launched on October 31, at Hudong Zhonghua Shipyard, China. The $600 million project signed in 2005 for construction of three frigates in China and the fourth at Pakistan, is expected to be completed by 2013.
Some of the interesting features of Pakistan’s Type F22P frigates from China are:
- the second frigate is to be commissioned as PNS Shamsheer on joining the Pakistan Navy in January 2010.
- the launching was done in the presence Consul General of Pakistan, Zafaruddin Mahmood as chief guest.
- the first ship launched on April 07,2008 (to be commissioned as PNS Zulfiqar) is nearing completion and is expected to be delivered to Pakistan Navy by end July 2009.
- the keel laying of third ship (to be named PNS Saif) is scheduled on November 04.
- the fourth ship will be constructed at Karachi Shipyard & Engineering Works (KSEW) with complete transfer of technology from China.
Posts in MarineBuzz on this day a year before:
Update: November 16
Here are some more photographs of second F22P frigate (PNS Shamsheer) at China Air and Naval Power Blog.
Update: May 31, 2009
PNS Shamsheer, Yard No 252 is getting ready for sea trials. Work on PNS Saif, Yard No 253 is also progressing. View photographs from China Air and Naval Power.
Update: July 11
View latest photographs of PNS Saif (Yard No 253) from China Defense Blog.
Did you enjoy this article? Please subscribe to RSS Feed to receive all the updates!
- No related posts found