The world’s longest tunnel aquarium was opened on October 26 at Chiang Mai of Thailand. Thai Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat presided over the opening of the tunnel aquarium at Chiang Mai Zoo’s aquarium. The aquarium is expected to boost tourism of Chiang Mai. The project is a joint venture by Zoological Park Organization and the public company MarineScape, Thailand. MarineScape will be managing the aquarium for a period of 20 years under a profit-split agreement.
Some of the interesting features are:
- covers an area of 13,895 square metres of land.
- has both freshwater and ocean sections each 66.5 metres wide.
- has 8,000 metre viewing walkway and can handle 1,000 visitors at any one time.
- set up at a cost of 600 million Thai Baht.
- houses about 8,000 aquatic animals of 250 different species.
- Marinescape has global presence in tunnel aquarium projects for more than 24 years.
Posts in MarineBuzz on this day a year before:
Did you enjoy this article? Please subscribe to RSS Feed to receive all the updates!
- No related posts found