Accidents in shipyards are increasing. Because of work pressure to complete the repairs faster, it seems safe working procedures are being compromised. Explosion took place in Friendship Gas tanker on July 24 docked at Perama dockyards 20 kilometers west of Athens.
Some of the disturbing features of the accident are:
- Friendship Gas is Panamanian-flagged vessel undergoing repairs at Perama dockyard
- blast occurred in the vessel’s engine room during repair work, believed to be welding
- seven workers and the ship’s Filipino First mate died on board
- four were injured and are being treated
- a three-day strike by dock workers to protest against the poor safety standards is going on from July 25
- two members of the repair crew have been arrested on suspicion of not following safety standards
- took more than four hours to contain the fire by three fire engines, a firefighting vessel and three tugs
Here is a photograph of the tanker
Image from Welt Online
For more information and photographs read Welt Online.
Update: July 28
Philippine Ambassador to Greece Rigoberto Tiglao has confirmed that Chief Mate Romualdo Jopia, a 48-year-old resident of Pasig City lost his life due to explosion aboard the M/T Friendship Gas. Read more from The Manila Times.
Here are some related posts.
- How to prevent fire, detect fire and fight fire in ships ?
- Gas leak kills two workers in vessel undergoing conversion in DryDocks World Singapore
- Fire in Platform Supply Vessel Rainbow Star kills 1 and injures 14 at Singapore shipyard
- Fire onboard MV Oel Aishwarya claims life of Second Officer
- Fire onboard nuclear powered USS George Washington: 24 sailors treated
- Japanese Destroyer Shirane catches fire in harbour
- Alert Nigerian naval dockyard averts major fire onboard NNS Ambe
Did you enjoy this article? Please subscribe to RSS Feed to receive all the updates!
- No related posts found