On June 08, fire broke out in platform supply vessel ‘Rainbow Star’ (see above photo) which was berthed at Kreuz Shipbuilding & Engineering (formerly known as North Shipyard Pte Ltd. and now operates as a subsidiary of Swiber Holdings, Ltd. ) located at Tuas Crescent, Singapore.
Here are some disturbing features of the fire accident:
- 50 metre long Belize registered Rainbow Star was undergoing repairs for the last three months. The vessel was scheduled to sail out this week on completion of refit.
- fire broke out with an explosion when painting was going on in the vessel around noon on June 08.
- ships bridge (20 metres x 5 metres) suffered maximum damage and the crew accommodation also was damaged.
- ships electricity was cut off immediately to avoid further damage.
- firefighters rushed immediately and the fire was brought under control within 20 minutes.
- fifteen persons in the age group of 20 to 30s from the shipyard and the ship were injured.
- one of the injured who suffered 90 percent burns unfortunately died in the hospital in the morning on June 09.
- most of the injured are from India, Indonesia and Bangladesh.
- the Ministry of Manpower has issued a stop-work order on all painting jobs at Kreuz.
An investigation is going on to find out the cause of fire.
The above images are from channelnewsasia and for more information and a video clip, read from channelnewsasia.
Update: June 10
Karuppan Arjunan, 42, an Indian citizen is the shipyard worker who died because of 90 percent burns. Read more from webindia123.
Did you enjoy this article? Please subscribe to RSS Feed to receive all the updates!
- No related posts found