- The Maltese-registered tanker Sea Bird was anchored on the La Plata River about 20 kilometres off the port Montevideo, Uruguay’s capital.
- Greek oil tanker Syros, collided with Sea Bird while trying to avoid a collision with a third vessel.
- At the time of collision Greek ship Syros was in ballast with no cargo on board and a bunker tank on the double bottom port side of the vessel was ripped open.
- About 14,000 cubic meters of fuel oil was spilled and further leakage has been stopped.
- Due to winds approximately 40 kilometer long oil spill is spreading towards Buenos Aires in Argentina.
- No one is injured in the collision.
- Argentina and Uruguay are monitoring the oil spill and are working to dissolve the fuel oil into the water.
Here is a photograph:
Photo: times of malta
Update: June 09
The oil spill has killed at least 60 penguins and many more are covered in oil off Uruguay coast. Read more from nzherald.
Update: June 15
Here is a video clip showing damage to marine life from national geographic.
Did you enjoy this article? Please subscribe to RSS Feed to receive all the updates!
- No related posts found