World Environment Day is being observed today, on June 05th, by more than 100 countries.
Some of the interesting features of World Environment Day 2008 are:
- New Zealand is hosting World Environment Day 2008 in partnership with the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP).
- The theme: This year’s theme is climate change with an emphasis to achieve a low carbon economy and lifestyle. The theme also includes forest conservation and sustainable forestry to achieve domestic and global climate change goals.
- International slogan: “Kick the Habit” (the ‘carbon’ habit) is the slogan for the event.
- Here are some easy ways to kick the carbon habit
- today you can use cycle or bus to reach your work place and leave your car at home.
- you can reduce your rubbish or waste at home and your work place by half this week.
- consume less electricity and water.
Let this day create an awareness
- to reduce wastage or rubbish
- to avoid water wastage
- to save energy
- to promote green buildings
- to use greener transports
Here are some tips on how to “green your event” to minimize greenhouse gas emissions and their environmental impact.
View here an interesting video clip of New Zealand on promoting World Environment Day.
Update: June 06
Here is the role of global container shipping lines on their commitment to environmental protection. Read more from shipsandboxes.
Did you enjoy this article? Please subscribe to RSS Feed to receive all the updates!
- No related posts found