In an unfortunate development, Second Officer Babu Thomas has lost his life due to fire onboard M.V Oel Aishwarya on May 24. Here are the details:
- the vessel was on her scheduled voyage from Colombo to Chennai
- fire broke out early morning while the ship was off Sri Lanka and it took seven hours to extinguish the fire
- ship is having crew of 23 Indians
- the vessel built in 1982 belongs to Shreyas Shipping & Logistics Limited
- vessel is 127 metres long with a beam of 20.06 metres, 8755 DWT
- the vessel is continuing her voyage to Chennai
Here is the ship’s position during the fire
On arrival to Chennai, an enquiry will be conducted by the principal officer of mercantile marine department and the shipping master, Chennai.
Update: May 28
Vessel arrived at Chennai on May 26 and the body of the second officer Babu Thomas (age 41) was handed over to next of kin. The fire took place in the air conditioning unit and the officer died due to suffocation. Read more from thehindu.
Did you enjoy this article? Please subscribe to RSS Feed to receive all the updates!
- No related posts found