The Microtransat Challenge is planning to conduct a transatlantic race of fully autonomous sailing boats this year. The race is expected to start between September 29 and October 5, 2008. The interesting part of Microtransat Challenge is:
- the starting point: Viana do Castelo, Portugal.
- the finishing point: between 10 degrees and 25 degrees North and 60 degrees West.
- registration is still open. As of now nine teams are participating
- no entry fee
- competition is open to individuals, universities, schools and companies.
- it may take around 2 or 3 months to cross the Atlantic.
- boats longer than four metres are not permitted
- multi hulled boats are permitted
- no limitation on the height of the mast but the keel should ideally be less than 2 metres.
- boats should have a radar reflector and to have clear warnings that it is unmanned.
Here is a sketch of Robotboat Mark III of US.
Did you enjoy this article? Please subscribe to RSS Feed to receive all the updates!
- No related posts found