PBS (Public Broadcasting Service) is set to unveil the massive nuclear powered aircraft carrier USS Nimitz. The airing will be in two hour blocks beginning April 27 through May 1, 2008. The 10-hour series CARRIER was filmed aboard the USS Nimitz during the aircraft carrier’s six-month deployment to the Gulf in support of the Iraq War. The project itself took over three years to complete as 17 filmmakers shot 1,600 hours of film as the ship departed Coronado, California on May 7, 2005 and docked at various ports of call like Pearl Harbor, Hong Kong, Guam, Kuala Lumpur, Bahrain and Perth, Australia before returning to Coronado November 8, 2005.
The interesting features of CARRIER are:
- The CARRIER, a 10-part series filmed aboard the USS Nimitz, comprises a core group of film participants, from the admiral of the strike group to the fighter pilots to the youngest sailors, as they navigate personal conflicts around their jobs, families, faith, patriotism, love, the rites of passage and the war on terror.
- The CARRIER includes behind-the-scenes footage and additional commentary to set the stage for a dramatic voyage for the sailors and officers aboard.
- The 10 part series are:
- Episode 1: “All Hands” : Setting sail for Hawaii and beyond, 5,000 sailors and Marines bid farewell and ponder life on board.
- Episode 2: “Controlled Chaos”: Tight fraternies form when one lives on the roof of a nuclear reactor.
- Episode 3: “Super Secrets”: Aboard a carrier, some topics are hush-hush.
- Episode 4: “Squared Away”: Ports of call allow sailors to blow off steam, but not all the pressure vents.
- Episode 5: “Show of Force”: Conditions are extreme in the Gulf.
- Episode 6: “Groundhog Day”: Frustration surfaces when one day becomes indistinguishable from the next.
- Episode 7: “Rites of Passage”: After an ancient maritime ritual, a storm arises, raising the stakes on the carrier landings.
- Episode 8: “True Believers”: Exploring the many expressions of faith.
- Episode 9: “Get Home-itis”: Deployment places a heavy burden on relationships back home.
- Episode 10: “Full Circle”: The final transit from Hawaii to California allows for a look back and tearful, joyful reunions.
- CARRIER premieres Sunday, April 27 through Thursday, May 1, 2008, 9:00-11:00 p.m. ET on PBS (check local listings).
- When to watch the series ? Click here to find out.
Click the image below to tour the USS Nimitz.
Here is PBS Carrier Team:
Pamela Yates: Producer In the Field
Josh Bennett: Associate Producer-Ship
Alejandro de Onis: Associate Editor
Mark Mandler: Sound Recordist
Mark Brice, Cinematographer
Axel Baumann: Cinematographer
More details about the series are here in PBS.
Here is some more information on Nimitz and its crewmembers past and present from ussnimitzassociation.
Update: April 30
More details about each part of CARRIER series are available at sea-fever.
Update: May 07
Those who missed the series, can now watch online from pbs.
Did you enjoy this article? Please subscribe to RSS Feed to receive all the updates!
- No related posts found