PNS ‘Zulfiqar’ a type F22P Frigate was launched on April 07 at Hudong Zhonghua Shipyard, Shanghai. The launching ceremony was attended by the chief of Naval Staff Admiral Muhammad Afzal Tahir. The F-22P is an improved version of the Chinese Type 053H3 frigate.
The interesting features of type F22P project are:
- frigates are built as part of military collaboration between China and Pakistan signed in 2005.
- three frigates would be constructed at China
- includes complete transfer of technology to construct fourth frigate at Karachi Shipyard and Engineering Works
- China would provide support in ship design, construction and test trials
- frigates have stealth feature called Radar Cross Sectional (RCS) reduction
- frigates have surface to surface, air and underwater strike capabilities
- frigates are also equipped with Chinese Z9EC helicopters
- would be completed in five years
- at a cost of $750 million
Click here to view PLA Navy shipborne helicopters.
Update: October 30
Update: December 13
Reports are coming that PNS Zulfiqar, the first F22P frigate has commenced sea trials. Read more from Information Dissemination.
Update: January 05, 2009
Here are some more photographs of the first F22P (Hull No 251) undergoing sea trials and technical specifications of F22P from Chinese Military News Blog.
Update: January 28
FFG-251, the F-22P class frigate of Pakistan Navy has returned from first sea trial. For photographs and more information log on to China Defense Mashup.
Update: July 29
Pakistan Chief of the Naval Staff (CNS) Admiral Noman Bashir NI (M) has left on July 27 on an official visit to China to attend the commissioning ceremony of PNS Zulfiqar scheduled to be held on July 30 in Shanghai, China. Read more from The News.
Update: July 31
PNS Zulfiqar, first F‑22P Frigate constructed for Pakistan Navy at Hudong Zhonghua Shipyard in Shanghai, China was formally handed over to Pakistan Navy on July 30. Read more from Associated Press of Pakistan.
Did you enjoy this article? Please subscribe to RSS Feed to receive all the updates!
- No related posts found