Paper log books used by ships are gradually getting replaced with E log books or Electronic log books.
Paper log books had their own drawbacks, such as
- improper filling (like filling up of a daily log on a weekly basis)
- lack of clarity
- over writing
- poor handwriting where no one can understand what is written
In addition safe upkeep of log books is always a problem, such as
- log books getting misplaced in ship
- getting torn and dirty
- getting destroyed due to fire and flooding
- in between pages missing
As per the regulations, records must be maintained and safely kept for reference at any time. To overcome the drawbacks listed above E log books are replacing paper log books. Now, K-Log Electronic Log Books from Kongsberg are available. The K-Log has to be installed in Kongsberg supplied Marine Information Station Computer in the ship.
Interesting features of K-Log Electronic Log Books are
- they support event based recordings in ship pertaining to Navigation, Engine Watch Keeping, Port Calls etc.,
- they can be configured to meet individual ships requirement
- they meet the specifications laid by IMO, SOLAS and Flag States
- in addition to manual data entry the system can be interfaced with GPS for time and position reference and with other navigation,automation available onboard
- offered as modules: Deck Log Book, Engine Log Book, Oil Record Book Part I, Radio Log Book, Dynamic Positioning (DP) Log Book, Operational Log
- the system is capable of generating Reports such as Full Deck Log Report, Daily Noon Report
Here is a sketch of the K-Log System
Advantages of using K-Log
- though initial investment may be high, this reduces work load of officers on watch as manual documentation is cumbersome
- saves time in terms of data collection and generating reports
- improves efficiency as data and reports are sent without time delay to ship owners, third party view
- easy retrieval of data when necessary
Presently Seismic Ship Ramform Sovereign is getting installed with Kongsberg K-Log electronic logbook.
Click here to read more about K-Log, Marine electronic logbooks.
Did you enjoy this article? Please subscribe to RSS Feed to receive all the updates!
- No related posts found