Then Why do ships sink ?
- Is it because of ships crew ?
- Is it because of machinery failure ?
- Is it because of external factors like bad weather ?
It is ultimately the ships crew responsible for the ships to sink. Even machinery failure can be avoided by the crew. Understanding the weather pattern and avoiding bad weather is possible.
Here are 10 easy ways to sink a ship.
- do not update your professional knowledge
- do not learn from others mistakes
- do not listen to your subordinates view
- do not apply your mind in case of emergencies
- do not carry out fire safety drills
- do not carry out damage control drills
- do not carry out steering failure drills
- do not carry out generator,engine failure drills
- do not secure cargo and other materials onboard for sea
- do not keep machinery, cargo, living spaces neat and tidy
- do not believe in house keeping
- do not make use of navigational aids onboard to find out weather pattern
- do not make use of communication equipments on board to know the outside world and safety warnings
- do not understand the psychology of the ships crew
- do not develop cordial relationship with ships crew
- do not avoid alchohol
- do not avoid smoking
- do not avoid drugs
- do not keep your mind free from personal problems
- do not lead a stress free life
- do not communicate with others to listen to or share your problems
- do not do simple physical exercises
- do not read user manuals of the machinery
- do not carry out preventive or breakdown maintenance
- do not carry out condition monitoring
- do not forget to boast that ‘I Know Every Thing’
- do not maintain logbooks
- do not calibrate your test equipments,gauges,instruments
- do not cover the equipments when not in use
- do not test emergency equipment like fire fighting equipment,emergency generator,emergency lights,fire alarms, lifeboats etc., for operational readiness
- do not carry out dry dock related maintenance professionally
- do not keep your eyes open to look for any leakages,flooding,fire
- do not look at instrument panels to monitor machinery parameters
- do not keep your ears open to observe any abnormal noise coming from machinery
- do not use your nose to observe any gas leaks,fuel leaks,burning smell
- do not sense by touching machinery for any abnormal vibrations, abnormal heating up of machinery
- do not follow safety procedures while working on equipments
- do not read the safety awareness posters in the ship
- do not document your activities
- do not update yourself on SOLAS,MARPOL,COLREG,ISPS,ISM,STCW etc.,
10. In case of Warships, in addition to the above loose lips also can sink ships.
Did you enjoy this article? Please subscribe to RSS Feed to receive all the updates!
- 10 Reasons Why the Captain of a Ship Prefers to Sink with the Ship
- 10 Reasons to Classify Ship as Feminine
- Pirate Mother Ship Prantalay Sinks off Lakshadweep during Anti Piracy Operations by India
- 14 Reasons: Why Ship Owners Prefer Filipino Seafarers and How They Exploit Them
- Irish Sail Training Vessel Asgard II Sinks in Bay of Biscay