- 16 lane, intelligent bridge with system monitoring, surveillance, information guidance and emergency support
- with 20 metres clearance below the main span for marine traffic
- uses High Volume Fly Ash Concrete (HVFAC) technology
- being carried out in four phases, three phases are already completed
- fourth phase of main bridge construction is in progress
Here is the map showing location of Worli and Bandra in Mumbai
Here are some photographs
Update: May 15
Maharashtra PWD Minister says that more than 78% of work is completed and the bridge is expected to be ready for use by January 2009. Read more from webindia123.
Update: July 17
Anti-Terrorism Squad (ATS) inspects the bridge to assess how soft is the bridge for terrorist attack. Read more from Mid-Day.
Update: April 29, 2009
From The Times of India dated April 29:
On Aprli 28, the last 30 metre section of the bridge remaining to be connected was completed with 130 tonne concrete segment. Though the bridge is now ready, other allied works on the link are expected to be completed by May 31.The final touches remaining to be completed are: waterproofing,tarring of the bridge road, installation of road signages, crash barriers,railings, construction of toll plaza, illumination of the bridge and street-lighting.
The other parallel four-lane sea route is expected to be completed by the year end.The next contractor will extend it up to Haji Ali as part of the Rs 4,000-crore Worli-Haji Ali sealink project.
Apart from the bridge, the remaining four phases which are almost complete include the flyover towards Kalanagar in Bandra, a ramp towards Bandra reclamation, the cementing and steel-bridging at Worli seaface, and the flyover and road expansion work at Love Grove.
The bridge has come up at a total cost of Rs 1,640 crore, of which the sealink costs Rs 580 crore.The technical know-how for the bridge has come from consultants and specialists from countries like USA, the UK, Austria, Germany, Australia, Egypt, China and the Philippines.
Also read more from DNA:Mumbai.
Update: May 28
View some interesting video clips:
Update: June 14
Worli-Bandra sea link is getting ready for inauguration. Maharashtra chief minister Ashok Chavan with other officials inspected the site. View a video clip: Bandra Worli Sea Link in Mumbai to open shortly
Update: June 29
Smt. Sonia Gandhi, UPA Chairperson and Member of Parliament, will inaugurate the Bandra-Worli Sea Link on June 30 at 1530 hours. The bridge will be opened to public from July 01. Read more from Business Wire India.
View an interesting video clip: Sonia to inuagurate Bandra-Worli sea link Tuesday
View some more interesting video clips:
Did you enjoy this article? Please subscribe to RSS Feed to receive all the updates!
- Mumbai: Bandra Worli Sea Link Inaugurated
- Mumbai Terrorists were Trained to Become Mariners to Use Sea Route
- Not a Surprise: Use of Sea Route for Terrorist Attacks in Mumbai
- Terrorists may have Used Sea Route to Launch Attacks in Mumbai
- Indian Navy to Conduct Open Sea Swimming Competition 2008 at Mumbai