India successfully conducted undersea test firing of K-15 missile on February 26. Pakistan has reacted with a comment that it is a serious issue and could trigger an arms race in the region. Let us analyse more.
Here is a map that shows Indian and Pakistan coast lines.
Pakistan has a coast line of 1,050 km, 250 km falling in Sind province and 800 km in Balochistan.
India has a coast line of total 7500 km. 5700 km on the mainland and 1800 km around Andaman & Nicobar islands and Lakshadweep islands.
India with a large coast line definitely needs all types of weapons to face the sea based threats.
Being a soft state, India started losing its territory and faced cultural invasions.
- witnessed Persian invasion through northwestern Indian Subcontinent (present day Eastern Afghanistan and Pakistan) in 520 BCE
- was attacked by Alexander the Great in 326 BC through the same northwestern Indian Subcontinent
- was invaded by Arabs,Turks,Mughals from central Asia by land through western region from 8th Century CE onwards
- was occupied and colonised by British East India Company through sea from mid 18th Century CE
- witnessed Sino Indian war in 1962
- Witnessed Indo Pak war in 1947,1965,1971 and 1999 Kargil conflict
Here is the view of former President Dr.A.P.J.Abdul Kalam on Indian Missiles and development:
In the 3,000-year history of India, barring 600 years, the country has been ruled by others. If you need development, the country should witness peace and peace is ensured by strength. Missiles were developed to strengthen the country.
Any country is free to develop its own weapons for self defense. Why Indian undersea missile test is brought out as a reason to trigger an arms race ?
Did you enjoy this article? Please subscribe to RSS Feed to receive all the updates!
- No related posts found