When undersea internet cables were cut, off the northern coast of Egypt on January 30, the internet service slowed down and even got disrupted in some countries.
- Cable cut by the ship: This reason is ruled out by Egypt’s Ministry of Communications as no ships were there in that area when the cables got cut.
- Conspiracy theory focusing on Information warfare.
Can there be any other reasons for the damage:
- was there any undersea earthquake, volcanic eruptions or any other natural calamity in that area ?
- was there any naval ships or submarines doing underwater exercises in that area ?
- was it due to bad quality of the cables ?
- was it due to improper laying of cables ?
Clear picture would emerge only when the repair ship reach that area and physically inspect the cables.
Update: April 07
Dubai Port Trust Authorities have impounded two ships, MV Hounslow and MT Ann suspected to be responsible for cable cuts in Dubai. Click here to read more.
Update: April 10
View video animation on cable fault finding and repairs at Digital Inspiration.
Here view a video clip on how undersea cables are laid
Did you enjoy this article? Please subscribe to RSS Feed to receive all the updates!
- No related posts found